May 6, 2018

Gerah-Bilah-Bieh mountaineering

My last mountaineering was in 2013! So when Hasan asked me to join this trip, I was hesitant in the beginning. But determined to take up the challenge, I paid up & made my way to this place!

28 APRIL 2018 (Day 1)

5.15AM : Left Bertam (my house) with Hasan; stopped by at R&R Gng.Semanggol for Subuh. There are 2 ways to get to here, either exit Ipoh or exit Kuala Kangsar
8.00AM : Arrived at Masjid Bawong
















9.30AM : Left Masjid Bawong (after b/fast at nearby stall), on 2 4WD. 15 of us cramped in the back cabin for 3 hours!
12.30PM: Arrived at Kg.Lelar (Pos Kemar) - an Orang Asli village. Had our packed lunch here.
  1.45PM: Started our journey into the wilderness of tropical rainforest in our quest to conquer Gerah, Bilah & Bieh peaks.
4.00 PM: Reached Kem Sungai Y. Journey involved 1 river crossing (knee-level tide)
Set up our fly sheets & grounds. Had a soothing time at nearby river stream. Solat, had dinner & slept early. Dinner : Nasi Kuning with ayam masak merah & kopi O



{Highlights : Total  distance : 6.14km, elevation : 814metres, Total time : 2hrs 15mins}



Day 2

7.45AM: Left Kem Sungai Y (after b/fast - meehoon goreng). Our destination for today : Kem Perodua
- Had to ascend & descend Puncak Bongok (the trail was really trying, but the puncak did not appear like one proper peak; perhaps the reason being called Puncak Bongok. The descend from Puncak Bongok was treacherous. I literally slid down at 4-5 places.
- Stopped at Kem Sg.Agek for lunch (Nasi with Ikan Masih masak lemak) Topped up our water bottles here.
4.30 PM: Reached Kem Perodua. Set up our fly sheets & grounds. Had a soothing time  at nearby river stream. Solat, had dinner & slept early.



{Highlights: Crossed 7 rivers (throughout the trail, not continuously). Total distance : 12.82km. Elevation : 1035m, Total time : 8 hrs 30mins}



Day 3 aka the penultimate day aka D-day !

1 AM : Dah bangun!!
2.30AM : Ready to go (after b/fast). Yup..that's right...we started on trekking, hiking, jumping etc at 2.30AM! Our destination today : all 3 peaks & return to Kem Perodua
5.50 AM :1st pit stop @ Kem Sarsi. Had our Subuh here
7.50 AM :2nd pit stop @ False Gerah peak (as the name implies...it is a false peak)
Mossy forest stars after this false peak. Simply breathtaking!
9.45AM : Arrived at "Simpang Gerah-Bilah". The plan was to ascend Bilah then Gerah, Bieh. However as I have already set in my mind, I wanted to skip Bilah (which was supposed to be 1.5 hrs ascend & descend from "Simpang Gerah-Bilah". So I stayed put at this "Simpang". After a while I started to regret as I might have to be here alone for at least 2 hours, agas2 were killing me (had to lit up some cigarettes to be save from them) and the coldness was penetrating my bones! Then, alas...Sara arrived at 10.30AM! We initially thought he is not gonna continue his hike. I jumped in joy to see him & made our way to Gerah peak, which is merely 15 mins from the "Simpang"



11AM : Sara & I conquered Gerah peak! Elevation : 2103m
Sara & I at Gerah peak













Hasan, Fifie (guide) & I at Bieh peak 

Mesmerizing view of mossy forest at Bieh peak

As we were lepaking at the peak, Rajesh @ Ironman became the first to arrive. I waited for Hasan and continued journey to the next peak, Gunung Bieh. Had our packed lunch at Gerah peak.
1.50PM : Reached Bieh peak ( 1 hour from Gerah peak) Elevation : 2071m
2PM : Started the treacherous journey back to Kem Perodua 
No words to describe how difficult the journey back was. We were literally lacking sleep, and just conquered 3 peaks (2 for me :) and we still have to walk roughly another 14km to get back to Kem Perodua (our campsite)

'Hundreds' of pit stops for me. I followed two experienced hikers on my way back..Mr.Jimmy & Mr.Alan (both in 50s I  guess). They patiently waited for me and we walked the journey together till we reached campsite at 8.30pm. Really owe them a bunch.
The last 1.5hrs of the journey was no joke...walking in the darkness of jungle, aided only by your headlamps and accompanied by eerie sounds of jungle creatures really sent chills down my spine.

Back to campsite, ultra-tired, filthy and hungry! Took a quick shower (this time did not immerse myself into the stream), then dinner....before going straight to sleeping bag. The last group arrived at 10pm

{Highlights: No river crossing, Total Distance : 31.89km (30km for me), Highest elevation : 2103m - Gerah, Total time taken : 18 hours}

Day 4 aka Freedom day

8.40AM : Left Kem Perodua ( after b/fast & dismantling our tents). Destination : balik kampong!
Pit stops (the main ones) : Kem Sg. Agek, Puncak Bongok, Kem Sg.Y) Lunch at Puncak Bongok & solat at Kem Sg.Y
Killer trail : from Kem Sg.Agek to Puncak Bongok - 4 ascending trails which almost caused VT in me! These were the trails I slid down on Day 2 - when were we heading to Kem Perodua

{Highlights : Crossed 8 rivers, one of them was mid-thigh level tide, Total distance : 18.85km, Total time : 8 hrs 20mins}

5.40PM : Left Kg.Lelar on 4WD. For all the blessings of no rain while we stayed in the jungle, we nicely collected maximal rainfall on our way back to Masjid Bawong. Sitting in the open cabin, we were 'blessed' with rain continuously for 3 hours. 
9PM : Arrived at Masjid Bawong. After cleaning up and some farewell salams, we left to look for food. Found a place called Amira Tomyam. Sara joined Hasan & I for dinner/supper here.

1.30AM : Reached Bertam

Summary:
1) Cost : RM290 (inclusive of 4WD fee, organizers' fee & food)
2) Total distance : 69.7km
3) Elevation gain : 4593m
4) Max.elevation : 2103m
5) Total hiking/walking time : 37 hours 05 minutes (this time might vary based on our endurance :)
6) Difficulty scale : 10/10 (my rating ye :)

Pitcher plant found in abundance From Simpang Gerah-Bilah 
We were this cramped!































the last Orang Asli village-before we started to hike
Inside our tent - 1st dinner
Briefing @ Kem Sg.Y
Smiles before tears & pains

1st river we crossed
cat nap at Puncak Bongok 
This bro is the caretaker of a small veggie farm located after Kem Sg.Agek.
He only comes down every few weeks :)
Bamboo forest in abundance here - beautiful trail kan :)
Gerah & Bieh (behind) - from far
Uncle - started climbing after the age of 60 - source of inspiration!
Way the go uncle!
 Simpang Gerah-Bilah 





Beirut (cone) at Gerah peak








No comments: