August 18, 2017

Lumut-KL road trip

I've been to Lumut only once, back in 2012 & in fact it was a brief stop by with my friend Hasan. So this trip worth calling my "first" trip to Lumut.

11 August 2017

Left Penang at 9.20am; parents as my trip "accomplice". Exited Taiping/Changkat Jering about an hour later.
Then  endured one and a half hour of almost network-less journey along oil palm plantations en route to Lumut. I relied on signboards; passed by places like Terong & Beruas. Encountered turns to Manjung & Sitiawan at the later part of my drive. Only later on I found out there is another road via Pantai Remis; where by motorists have to take Right turning after rows of shops at Terong.

Finally checked in to Ritz Inn Lumut @ 12 noon. Had our home made Briyani at hotel room; before heading to Masjid Al-Adly for Jummah prayers.

Lumut:
Started as a small fishing village, which later thrived after being made base for Malaysian Royal Navy. There is even a military hospital at Lumut. KKM hospital is at Manjung. 
In my perspective, Lumut is a small, quiet town which serves as a gateway to Pangkor Island. I guess it will only appear busy during school holidays. 
Business here mainly about selling dried seafood products (e.g. ikan masin, sotong masin, keropok etc) Noticed a few Mamak restaurants as well as KFC & Domino's.
Sitiawan is a mere 10km drive and Manjung town is not too far. Hence people of Lumut has no problems getting to these places to hang out.

As I had no idea as to where I shall take my parents to, I brought them to a "pasar malam" not too far from Lumut town (noticed this place when Hasan & I went to Marina Island earlier to get race kit)
It is just a normal "pasar malam"like elsewhere, but the eye-catching matter is the price of "äthirasam" @ kuih peniram. Sold at RM1 for 10 pieces. The taste was superb; hence we bought 70 pieces :)

There were quite a number of restaurants at Lumut town as well as a bit farther; but did not try any as did not want to stuff myself too much prior to my run next day.

12 August 2017

Silverman Half Marathon:
This is the inaugural event held in Marina Island, organised by warrior-quest. The run starts at Marina Island, a man-made Island on reclaimed land (privately owned :) Again I am with my running buddy, Hasan..who drove all the way from Aloq Setaq with his family.
The kick-off was punctual; at 7.15am. We had to run 2 loops of 10.5km each loop. Of course into roads of Lumut and back to Marina Island. The track was quite challenging - going up the slope 8 times!
As I was ill-prepared, of course some minor cramps started during the second loop & overall performance was unsatisfactory. Finished at 3:03 hours.
Post-run, breakfast provided & finisher tee given. The only draw back is that throughout the run, no isotonic drinks provided. Only given power-root cans. Something the organizer has to improve on.

Drive to KL:

Checked out at 12 noon & headed straight to KL, solely relying on my unreliable waze & googlemap (connected via U mobile).
The nearest road to get to highway Utara-Selatan is supposed to be via Teluk Intan. Unfortunately one bridge that has to be passed by to get to Teluk Intan gave way & had to be closed for repairing works. Hence we had to take a longer route to reach highway. This longer route opened up an option of getting into highway via Tapah or Teluk Intan; and I opted for Tapah. Stopped at Tapah for lunch.
My first time in Tapah though..haha.

KL:
Checked in to Shangri La at 4.30pm. Was at the Spiolto launching & dinner from 5.30 - 8.30.
Foods were superb - pre&post launching.

13 August 2017

Not much plans for today, except that going to Amcorp Mall, PJ. Check out at 12noon. Went for lunch at Setapak (near apartment I used to stay in 2015). Then straight to Amcorp Mall. Unfortunately the shop we were  supposed to go to sell our old books & CDs has shut down. The whole floor looked a lot different. too many "stalls" selling old staff...right from books, records, CDs and even old toys.
Left the place at 3 something; headed straight to highway. Stopped by at Rawang, just to take a stroll around the town. 



Reached Penang at 9.15pm.

Hasan & I at the finishing line

Ikan kurau 


No comments: